My 08/09 Track Cycling Season

>> Tuesday 14 April 2009

Track Cycling ’08-09 Season
By Hannah Barnes

Getting Started
I first started track in September 2008. Being the first time ever on a track bike I often found myself reaching for the brakes when I needed to slow down, however being a track bike, it had no brakes so I had to learn how to slow down and stop by using just my legs. On my first day after getting set up on a bike, I timidly rode around the very bottom of the velodrome, terrified to go any higher, but when Gary (the junior coach) told us to ride around on the blue line, or the stayers line (the line half way up the track) I found to my great relief that it was easier than it looked. At the end of the first day I decided I might as well do a race with some of the more
experienced riders, where I came 3rd after just losing a sprint for second place, but
still a good result for my first day.

General Training
I went to junior track sessions twice a week, on Tuesday after school for training and racing and on Sunday afternoons. During these sessions we have done various exercises on the flat grass area in the centre of the velodrome, including slow races, riding very close to someone, and wheel touching. We have also done interval training, learnt all the different types of races and the starting procedures, and of course the safety rules of riding a bike with no brakes.

At home to train for track, I do time on the turbo- trainer, 45 minutes on an easy day, 1 hour as my standard, and 1½ on a hard day. I practice spinning at a high cadence, spinning one legged, and pushing quite large gears.

Tuesday Night Racing
On Tuesday nights after junior training we have racing with all the senior riders in
Wellington, who come to compete, and some of the better juniors stay and race. The riders are put into categories, cat one, two and three (cat one being the best, I
race in cat three). One week (the 16th Dec) I actually won cat three. I came 2nd in the 500m time trial to begin with, then I surprised myself and won the elimination by a very close sprint with arch rival for the night, Rebecca, and I mean close, there was about an inch in it! I then won the keiren by yet another very close sprint. After those two gut-busting efforts, I didn’t have enough left in me to pull back the 20m to get to Rebecca in the Handicap but I still came second. In the last race of the night, a scratch race with cat one, two and three riders, (12 laps but cat three started a lap up, and cat one a lap down) I came just short of my third win by a little more than a foot, but we did pretty well not to get lapped, except by Lee Evans, who wins cat one by a long way. A pretty successful night.

Recently the numbers have boosted, practically quadrupled and multiple heats are now necessary in all categories. Though this is good in theory it does mean that there is much less actual riding and much more sitting around. However Tuesday nights have become quite a social event, with a disposable BBQ, sausages and marshmallows these nights were always full of fun and drama.

Wanganui- The Wooden Velodrome
At the end of November a small group of us went up to Wanganui for a day to ride on the wooden velodrome. It was both scary and fun. I was shocked to see how much steeper than Wellington it was, and it was much smaller, only 250m compared to Wellington’s 330m, and so the corners were much sharper, and it was harder to keep a straight line. No matter how scary it looked I was determent to conquer this wooden beast and so I rode around the very top of the banking for a full lap, and won a prize for being the first new person to do so.

Racing that evening was not very successful, but my excuse was I had been riding all day and was tired, which was true. I was dropped in the first four laps of the Keirin and in the last lap for the other races. It was still a great experience and I’m glad I went.

Laykold Cup Carnival
Laykold Cup Carnival was held on the 6th of December. It was a massive event and was blessed with the best possible weather conditions, hot, dry, and very sunny. Being the only under 15 girl I was racing against the two under 15 boys, who were both in year 10. Unfortunately I did not win any of these races. The day was not without its drama, halfway through there was a massive crash, only two came out hurt but one broke his collarbone. Since then they have been putting a heavy emphasis on track safety, no surprises there. It was a great learning experience watching the elite race in the main event, the race for the Laykold Cup. It was great to see all the different tactics used, and what does and doesn’t work. It was a great day and I think everyone there got a little (or in some cases a lot) sunburnt, but it was still
great fun.

The Summer Stunner
The Summer Stunner was set on a beautiful summer’s day, well a beautiful Wellington
summers day. With a bit of overcast and a taste of the wind that Wellington is so famous for, this tournament was fun and successful.

All Said and Done
I have broken all the records for all individual time trial events in my category, making me one of only four people (and the only girl) in the club to own all the records for their age group. Although I am currently the only under 15 girl, this is still a big achievement, as there were records set by people in previous years that I have broken. And talking of breaking things, I have also broken the record for the most spokes broken in one go, and I just break spokes all the time. The good side to this was that I could always get them fixed at Bike Barn, and they are always so helpful and get it fixed in time for my next training.

At the end of the season I have managed to not only get all the records but have constantly been improving them. I have also won the Most Improved Juniors trophy, a great honour. Gary Gibson has told me that if I were to focus on track alone that I could be a medal contender at the Nationals next season. I have yet to decide if I should do track only next season, or continue with mountain biking. As a first season
I have had a great season, achieved lots and have had a great time.

With My Deepest Thanks
Gary Gibson has been an amazing coach. He has put in so much time, patience and effort into training us all, and I know that it can be very stressful at times. A huge “Thank you” to Gary. I also need to thank Hamish Norton for his intensive week of training earlier this year, and Rachel for organizing all the racing. Bike Barn
has been very helpful, particularly when it comes to broken spokes. There are some great guys in that shop.

PNP Junior Track - Fastest Times for 2008-09 Season
 Times recorded at the Wellington Velodrome only
 Ages specified as per Bike NZ age-groups
 As at 9 April 2009
JU15 Girls PNP record Date Name
200m Sprint 16.02 Mar-09 Hannah Barnes
500m Ind TT 48.23 Mar-09 Hannah Barnes
1 Kilo TT 1.41.44 Dec-08 Hannah Barnes
2000m Ind Pursuit 3.25.36 Jan-09 Hannah Barnes

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP