Big Coast 2010

>> Friday 19 March 2010


Last year Dad had marshalled for this event and enjoyed it so much that this year the whole family was involved (except my older sister Deb, she was organising a Runathon team to raise money for World Vision). Dad and I were a riding marshal pair, Mum and Marti were helping out transporting luggage, doing registration, setting up camp and being genuinely helpful, and Jony was riding in the event. I had returned from Track Nationals the Sunday before, and had not ridden a mountain bike for a couple of months at least, so I wasn’t sure how this was going to go.


An hour before the riders started all the marshals departed to their posts. Marjolein Ros (the head marshal) would drop us off where we needed to be and explain what we needed to do. The riding was pretty easy, from Tunnel Gully we went over the Rimutaka Incline (there was a morning tea stop at the summit) and then down to Cross Creek (where Dad and I were), then through the farm and onto the sealed road for about 5 minutes to lunch, then along the seal to camp. 47km. The day went smoothly and a good time was had by all.

At the campsite there was live music and even showers! When we turned up to the main area to wait for dinner all the tables were taken so we went and sat on the ground next to were the food was going to be served. This worked out very well as when dinner was served we were second a line of around 400. Better yet, all the tables were now empty, so we could sit and enjoy.

The next morning we were up bright and early so that we could get to our places before the riders. Today’s course was much more challenging, with two big rock slides than had to be climbed over, and a few sandy places, along with the fact that there was a strong headwind for lots of it. After 3 hours riding I arrived at my post, exhausted. Sitting at the top of a hill, being nice to people and handing out lollies for 4 hours was much harder than you would think. When the tail-end-Charlie came through at last and I was relieved from my post I still had one hour’s left of riding to go. I was really relieved when I did get back and was amazingly pleased to receive a free sausage and a drink, along with the chips in our car. Eight hours is a long time to be out and about in the sun and wind, so I was totally exhausted, and not looking forward to school the next day, where I had four NCEA assessments in the coming week.



The event went really well and I was glad to have taken part and helped out – full credit to Duncan and Zoe for their great organisation; Marjolein was a very supportive and inspiring Chief Marshal; the AREC Upper Hutt radio communication guys were very interesting company at the check points; and the participants who came and rode the 100km over the Rimutaka Incline and around the rugged South Coast all deserve a big round of applause! It was kind of nice to be back on the mountain bike, although I still love the velodrome more. I hope to be there marshalling again next year and I recommend the event to all.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP