PNP Mountain Bike Series: Round Two - Wainui

>> Sunday 19 September 2010

Despite the predicted ‘weather bomb’ the weather for this race was definitely better than for Makara. The blue skies on the way over Wainui hill were a nice change to the usual overcast and windy conditions we Wellingtonians are used to. Much to my pleasure, Caitlin Pilcher had decided to race so I was not alone in my grade.

This year we D graders didn’t have to go up the huge climb up Konini Firebreak 4WD track to begin with, instead we went up Jungle Scout, Jungle Gym and down Snail Trail twice then back home. The first time up Jungles was pretty congested. After a hectic scamper to get onto the single track first it settled down into a steady train of riders, until someone fell off on a switchback or someone’s chain came off. By the time we got to the top it as a bit more spread out and I could see Caitlin, my arch rival for the day, ahead of me. Going down Snail Trail was awesome. It was so easy to get into the rhythm of the track...until all the Under-17’s came charging by in hot pursuit of one another.


At the bottom of Snail Trail we had a fast little bit on the flat then back up Jungles to do the loop again. It was going up Jungle Scout that I finally managed to overtake Caitlin, and I was then going as fast as I could not know whether she would catch me or how far behind me she was. I managed to get to the finish in a time of 47 minutes, only two minutes ahead of Caitlin.

As the D course was so short we had a while to wait for the prize giving. Once the race was over Caitlin and I were friends again and it was nice to have some female company at a bike race again. I made sure I waited for the spot prizes again as last time my name was called out first but I wasn’t there, so this time I was definitely staying. My name wasn’t called out first again, but it did near the end when there were only lolly bottles left, so I still got something.
















Next race is in three weeks time at Mt Vic, a park famous for getting lost, getting muddy and having fun. I’m looking forward to it and to racing Caitlin again.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP